Km 269.5 Carretera Chetumal
Quintana, Roo. 77750 México.
52 (984) 875 3000 phone
52 (984) 873 5210 fax
Dreams Puerto Aventuras Resort & Spa - Mexico
WEDDING FEQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Where do I start?
Ceremony and Reception Locations
Cost of a Destination Wedding at Dreams Puerto Aventuras
Wedding Details & Decor
What about our family and friends that cannot attend?
Do you hold destination weddings at your resorts?
- Yes, we hold weddings at all of our resorts
Is there a dedicated wedding planner on site? Can they be reached by email?
- There is a dedicated wedding coordinator on site at Dreams Puerto Aventuras. Please use the contact information below:
Dreams Puerto Aventuras email@example.com
What services does your wedding planner provide? Is there a fee?
- There is no fee for the use of our wedding coordinator. A specialist will be with you to assist prior to and on your special day and they are there throughout the entire experience to answer any question you may have regarding your day!
How much time would we need to reserve our wedding in advance?
- Weddings should be reserved at least three months in advance but one year is preferable if you have exact dates in mind.
How can we confirm our wedding date?
- There is a Wedding Request Form listed on Dreams Puerto Aventuras’ wedding pages. Just fill out this form and if the date is available, the weddings department at the resort will be happy to confirm availability. The wedding will be considered confirmed only with you receive a written communication stating so.
What if we want to reserve on short notice?
- You should contact the wedding coordinator directly
How many days do we need to arrive prior to the ceremony?
- Mexico requires that you be in the country at least 4 full business days prior for a legal ceremony; day of arrival, Sundays & Mexican Holidays do not count.
What is the latest time that we can arrive at the resort for it to count toward the “business day” requirement?
- Arrival day does not count. You must arrive 4 full business days prior for a legal ceremony.
What is the difference between legal (civil), religious and symbolic ceremonies?
- Only a civil ceremony is legally recognized. A religious ceremony has no legal bearing and does not replace in any way the binding legal civil marriage. A renewal of vows or religious ceremony is a symbolic ceremony. It is performed by a Non denominational minister (please note that Catholic ceremonies cannot be performed outside the church). The bride and groom will receive a symbolic marriage not legally valid.
Do we need to send any documentation prior to arrival?
- Yes all legal documentation must be sent at least 1 month in advance in order to verify all information. Also, you will need to have all originals with you when you arrive to resort.
What private indoor and outdoor areas of the resort are available for a wedding? Are indoor spaces air-conditioned?
- CEREMONY = GAZEBO/ BEACH (OUTDOOR)
- RECEPCION PLACES INDOORS = EL PATIO/OCEANA/SEA SIDE GRILL (These places are subject to the Hotel Restaurant availability)
- RECEPTION PLACE OUTDOOR = BEACH
How many people can each of them accommodate?
- GAZEBO: 60 PEOPLE
- BEACH CEREMONY AREA: 40 PEOPLE
- EL PATIO: 80 PEOPLE
- SEA SIDE GRILL: 48 PEOPLE
- OCEANA: 56 PEOPLE
- BEACH RECEPTION AREA: 90 PEOPLE
What about guests not staying at the resort?
- Guests who chose to come only for the event will have to purchase a day pass. This will be an additional cost. There are also special discounted children’s rates available.
Can you email me a layout and images of these places?
- Please contact the wedding coordinator directly, they will be happy to provide you with recent photos.
Do you have an online photo gallery or can you email me pictures of other destination weddings that have taken place at your property?
- Our wedding coordinator can email pictures of other weddings that have taken place at Dreams Puerto Aventuras.
What do you offer in the way of decorations?
- The resort does provide basic decorations such as flowers and centerpieces. All other decor may be requested through the Wedding Coordinator and will be an additional charge.
What time of day do most destination weddings occur? Why?
- Most weddings are done at Sunset, simply because it’s the most romantic!
If we want our wedding on the beach, what is the set-up?
- The beach setup consists of a ceremonial table and chairs
Is it performed in English or Spanish?
- Legal ceremonies are performed in Spanish and will be translated into English. Symbolic ceremonies are performed in English.
What if I don’t have a witness?
- If there are no witnesses available, these will be provided by the resort at a charge of $10.00 USD each
What is the cost of a destination wedding at your resort, or is it included in the price of our stay?
- We offer three packages. Rates and inclusions depend on which you prefer.
Do you offer a set destination wedding package, or do we choose the elements individually?
- We have three set packages, however you can add anything extra that you wish.
Can you email a price list to me? Do you expect those prices to change by the date of my wedding?
- There is a wedding extras section on our website that lists all of this information for you! These prices are always subject to change as services are provided by outside vendors.
If I want to bring friends and family members, do you offer a discount on the price of rooms?
- Group rates are available when booking 10 rooms or more.
How many guests are permitted at your standard destination wedding? What do you charge if we exceed that number?
- Packages are valid for either 10 or 20 guests. Additional guests would incur an additional charge. This applies for the cake and private dinners.
Do you require a down payment? How much? When is the balance due?
- For the Wedding in Paradise Package, a $100 deposit is required. For the Dreams of Love and Dreams Ultimate Wedding Package, a $500 deposit is required. The deposits are necessary to hold and confirm the wedding dates and will be applied to the total cost of the wedding package.
Will there be other weddings taking place during the same time as ours?
- No. Your special time is yours and yours only.
Wedding Details & Decor
Who performs the ceremony at your resort?
- A local judge or minister will come to the resort to perform your ceremony
What if we want a ceremony that honors a particular religion; can someone of that faith be provided?
- We offer Civil Ceremonies (Justice of the Peace) or non-legal ceremonies (Symbolic by a Christian Minister). If you would like to bring your own minister you are more then welcome to do so.
On the other hand, what if we want a ceremony that does not bring in religion?
- Non religious ceremonies are an option at all of our resorts.
How long is the ceremony?
- A legal ceremony lasts about 15 minutes and a symbolic ceremony lasts about 20 minutes however; the champagne toast and cutting of the cake (these are optional if the guests are having a private reception) will follow shortly after.
What do brides and grooms typically wear at your resort for destination weddings?
- Brides usually wear a beautiful white gown they have always dreamed of, while the groomsmen usually prefer kakis and a white dress shirt. Most couples also prefer bare feet on the beach, of course.
Will someone be available to iron my wedding dress?
- Wedding dress preparation is included in specific wedding packages. In case this is not included in your package or your wedding party wants to iron/steam their outfits, our laundry service can also prepare their garments.
What do you do if I schedule an outside ceremony and reception -- and it rains? Do you have a picture of the back up plan?
- Yes, we do have several options in this instance. These will be reviewed with the wedding coordinator during your meeting.
What time is the sunset and the approximate temperature an hour before?
- Sunset times and temperature vary depending on season. Please ask the wedding coordinator once you have your date.
What types of flowers are available locally? Is there a florist onsite?
- We do not have a florist onsite. Tropical flowers are available all year. The wedding coordinator has a flower catalog for you to choose from. Photos are also available on our site, under wedding extras!
Is live music available? Can you email me an mp3 file of your house musicians?
- Live music is available. The wedding coordinator will be happy to provide you with a list of options. Some of them even have web pages or CD samples.
Can we supply our own music on CD?
- Yes, however, there will be an additional rental equipment fee for this.
Can you email me suggested menus for the reception?
- Menu options are listed on our site under wedding extras!
What can you supply in the way of a wedding cake?
- The wedding cake will be chosen by you. Once you arrive at the resort you will meet with the wedding coordinator to choose your cake. You may also browse samples prior to your arrival on our Wedding Extras Page!
Do you provide photography/videography services? What is the cost and what do we get for that amount?
- Yes, we do offer video and photo packages. Packages and prices may be requested through the wedding coordinator or viewed on our Wedding Extras Page.
Is there someone who can handle the legal details for us and will guide us through the process?
- Yes, the wedding coordinator deals directly with the local officials to coordinate the legalized wedding process.
What are the requirements to get a marriage license in your destination? Requirements to get married in the Mexico?
- Valid passport
- Tourist Cards (blue sheets that you receive at the airport)
- Apostille certified birth certificates for Bride & Groom (see below)
- If applicable, final Record of Divorce
- If applicable, Death Certificate
- Health certificate and blood test provided by a Mexican Official*
- Bride & Groom must arrive 4 days prior to the ceremony! (Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays do not count). *Additional costs apply.
Are witnesses required?
- Yes, four witnesses must arrive 4 days prior to the ceremony with passports and tourist cards (blue sheet received at the airport), witnesses can be provided by the hotel if needed at ad additional cost of $10.00 each.
What is an Apostille document, why do I need it and where do I get it?
- Apostille is a French word which means a certification. It is commonly used in English to refer to the legalization of a document for international use under the terms of the 1961 Hague Convention Abolishing the Requirement of Legalization for Foreign Public Documents. Documents which have been notarized by a notary public, and certain other documents, and then certified with a conformant apostille are accepted for legal use in all the nations that have signed the Hague Convention. (courtesy of Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostille). The processing fee is $100.00 plus 10% tax and may take up to 4 months to process.
I was divorced less then one year ago. Can I have my civil ceremony at the resort?
- Unfortunately no. If you have been divorced you will need to wait at least one year before remarrying, and you must bring a copy of your divorce decree.
Do we need proof of any medical tests?
- Yes, a blood test must be taken (see below).
Do I need a blood test and if so, what diseases does it check for?
- Yes, to be considered valid the test must be taken in Mexico and should not be taken more than 14 days prior to the ceremony. The blood will be tested for HIV, RPR (sexually transmitted diseases) and blood type. The results will be ready in 24 hours together with a certificate of the blood test. Upon arrival, your wedding coordinator sets the appointment for the next morning at 8.00 am, you must have an empty stomach, and the doctor will take the blood test either in your room or in the coordinator’s office.
What is the price of the blood test?
- $175 USD fee for blood test must be taken in Mexico. To be considered valid, the test should not be taken more than 14 days prior to the ceremony. The blood will be tested for HIV, STD's (sexually transmitted diseases) and blood type. The results will be ready in 24 hours together with a certificate of the blood test and the fee will be paid directly to the doctor in cash the day the test is taken.
Can I have a doctor perform the test in my country and take the results to the resort?
- No, the test must be taken in Mexico in order to be valid, no exceptions
Will I be able to participate in the wedding ceremony if the test comes back positive?
- No, according to Mexican Law, if your test comes back positive you can not be married in Mexico.
If we have to travel offsite to get the license, does your resort provide transportation?
- The wedding coordinator provides the license to you immediately after the ceremony, no transportation required.
If my name is different from the passport and birth certificate will this present problem?
- Yes, in order for the documents to be finalized and legal in Mexico, there must be proof for different names in order to get married (if divorce, birth certificates, or passport amended, etc).
Will the judge perform the ceremony if all of our documents are not in order? Are there any exceptions?
- No, there are no exceptions. All documents must be presented, and they must be in order for the ceremony to take place. If not, there is no ceremony.
Can you make a webcam available during the ceremony?
- Plans are currently underway to have webcams available for our wedding ceremonies. Please contact the wedding coordinator for details.
How long will it take to get our pictures back, and can they be quickly posted on an online album?
- If you choose a photographer provided by our wedding coordinator, expect to receive your photos and photo album the day after the ceremony. Depending on the package chosen, your images will appear on DVD or in a lovely album that also includes the negatives.
What type of Internet access is available at your property?
- Dreams Puerto Aventuras offers internet access in the lobby.
Do you have a dedicated honeymoon suite? Can you show me what it looks like?
- Yes, each resort offers a Honeymoon Suite or equivalent equipped with special Jacuzzi baths, and includes complimentary wedding or honeymoon packages based on length of stay. Visit the accommodations page of each resort to learn more.
Is there a private terrace or outdoor area where we can hold a rehearsal dinner?
- We can accommodate a rehearsal dinner at any one of our restaurants depending on the number of guests, as well as a private location, for an extra charge.
Is there a charge for guests to participate in sports at the resort?
- No, non-motorized water sports are included.
Can you arrange a special tour or activity for our guests?
- These may be arranged through the preferred tour company set up in the resort lobby. They are more then happy to arrange the best group outing to fit your needs.
Do I need any immunizations before traveling?
- In order to travel to the Mexico you do not need any immunizations.
What is the time zone?
- Puerto Aventuras, Mexico is located in the Central Time Zone.
Can I drink the water?
- We do not recommend drinking the water from the tap. All water and ice served in the restaurants and bars is purified. Please be careful when venturing out of Dreams Puerto Aventuras.
Can I bring dollars?
- Yes, American dollars are recognized and accepted in Mexico.
Is it easy to enter into the Mexico?
- You must have a valid passport to enter Mexico. Through September 30, 2007, due to the overwhelming amount of passport applications, the US Government has allowed passport flexibility to these countries. Please visit http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html for details.
Do you mind me asking all these questions?
- Not at all! Our wedding coordinator is happy to assist you in planning your perfect day, so please feel free to ask away.